The Greek symbol Delta (upper case Δ, lower case δ) is heavily used in the fields of science, mathematics, and finance. Hence, the symbol is often needed in calculations of Google Sheets. But unfortunately, Google Sheets doesn’t have any ribbon from where you can insert any special characters. Despite that, I can show you 4 easy methods on how to insert the delta symbol in google sheets. You can use these methods to insert other special characters as well.
A Sample of Practice Spreadsheet
4 Easy Ways to Insert Delta Symbol in Google Sheets
First, let’s have a look at our simple data sheet. We require only 2 rows and 2 columns for the symbol name and the symbol. An additional column might be taken in case of uppercase and lowercase both shown.
1. Insert Delta Symbol from Google Docs
In this method, we will copy the delta symbol from Google Docs and paste it into the required cell of Google Sheets.
- First, open a Google doc on your computer. Then, go to the Inset ribbon and click on Special Characters.
- In the popped-out window, click on the Search box.
- Type ‘Delta‘ in the search box. All symbols related to the word ‘delta’ will appear. Click on the symbol you require.
- The required symbol has appeared in your doc file. Close the popped-out window.
- Select the symbol and copy it using CTRL+C.
- Now, open your Google Sheet and select the Cell where you want to insert the symbol.
- Lastly, type CTRL+V to paste the symbol.
2. Use Alt Key Code in Google Sheets to Insert Delta Symbol
An easy method to insert any special character is by typing its Alt Code. For uppercase delta, the Alt Code is ALT+30, and for lowercase delta, the Alt Code is ALT+235. You can search the Alt Code for other symbols in Wikipedia.
- In the cell you want to insert the delta symbol, double click to enter edit mode. (Or, you can select the cell and press the F2 key on your computer.)
- Type ALT+30 to insert the uppercase delta symbol.
- Similarly, type ALT+235 to enter the lowercase delta symbol.
- How to Add Dollar Sign in Google Sheets Formula (2 Quick Tricks)
- How to Add Dollar Sign in Google Sheets (2 Suitable Examples)
3. Input Delta Symbol in Google Sheets from Windows Character Map
Another way to insert special characters is to use the Windows Character Map. Follow the steps below to insert the delta symbol from Windows Character Map.
- In the search bar of your computer, type “Character Map” and select the Character Map App from the options.
- A window like the following will pop out. You can manually search the symbol here. But an efficient strategy is to click on the Check Box of the “Advanced View” option.
- The popped-out window will extend and a search option will appear. Type ‘Delta’ in the “Search for” option and then click on Search.
- Symbols related to the word “Delta” will appear. Select the one you require by Double Click.
- After the symbol is selected, click on the “Copy” option and close the pop-out window.
- Now, open Google Sheets and select the cell where you want to insert the delta symbol.
- Lastly, type CTRL+V to paste the delta symbol.
4. Perform Google Search for Inserting Delta Symbol
The easiest solution to the problem “How to insert delta symbol in Google Sheets” is to copy it from Google and paste it into Google Sheets.
- Firstly, in any browser, search for “Delta Symbol” in the Google search bar.
- From the search result, select the delta symbol and copy it by typing CTRL+C.
- Now, open Google Sheets and select the cell where you want to enter the delta symbol.
- Finally, Type CTRL+V to paste the symbol.
Things to Be Considered
- You have to be in edit mode while typing the Alt Codes.
- Double-click on the symbol for selection in Character Map
This concludes our article on how to insert the delta symbol in Google Sheets. While it is frustrating to not have any ribbon in Google Sheets to directly insert such special characters, you can use these 4 easy methods to enter them. Feel free to leave any queries or advice in the comment section and visit our Office Wheel to explore more.